Color component of turmeric (curcumin) beat placebo for depression, and targeted a tough-to-treat form 08/18/2014
Not all curcumin
is created equal
Curcumin is not well-absorbed when extracted from turmeric ... unless it is accompanied by turmeric's own volatile oils.
Research shows that turmeric's volatile oils enhance the benefits of curcumin and provide their own ... yet most curcumin supplements have none, making them virtually useless.
Accordingly, when Vital Choice decided to offer curcumin supplements, we employed the patented BCM-95® extract, which includes the full spectrum of turmeric volatile oils.
Clinical studies show that BCM-95 curcumin is absorbed six to seven times better than the curcumin in conventional 95%-curcumin dietary supplements (Antony B et al. 2012).
BCM-95® has been tested in 13 published studies, including 10 human clinical trials, with uniformly positive results for safety and superior absorption.
Our curcumin supplement delivers BCM-95 curcumin in wild salmon oil, to further aid absorption, and to provide the complementary brain-health benefits associated with omega-3 fatty acids.
(Note: There are other highly absorbed curcumin supplements, which employ complex approaches such as delivery of curcumin via liposomes ... but they cost far more per milligram of curcumin.)
Placebo capsules twice daily
BCM-95 curcumin capsules (500 mg) twice daily
- Anand P, Kunnumakkara AB, Newman RA, Aggarwal BB. Bioavailability of curcumin: problems and promises. Mol Pharm. 2007 Nov-Dec;4(6):807-18. Epub 2007 Nov 14. Review.
- Antony B, Merina B, Iyer VS, Judy N, Lennertz K, Joyal S. A pilot cross-over study to evaluate human oral bioavailability of BCM-95CG (Biocurcumax), A novel bioenhanced preparation of curcumin. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2008 Jul-Aug;70(4):445-9.
- Antony B, Merina B, Rao SB. Enhancing the absorption of curcuminoids. Spice Board of India. July 2005, 23-26.
- Antony B, Merina B. Bioavailability of Curcumax (BCM – 095™). Little Flower Medical Research Center, Angamaly, India (Research Center of Mahatma Gandhi University). September 2006. Spice Board of India.
- Arora V, Kuhad A, Tiwari V, Chopra K. Curcumin ameliorates reserpine-induced pain-depression dyad: behavioural, biochemical, neurochemical and molecular evidences. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2011 Nov;36(10):1570-81. doi: 10.1016/j.psyneuen.2011.04.012. Epub 2011 May 25.
- Goel A. Depression Study Published on BCM-95 Curcumin; Natural product equaled effectiveness of prescription drug in clinical trial. July 11, 2013. Accessed at http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/depression-study-published-on-bcm-95-curcumin-215101301.html
- Holick KA, Lee DC, Hen R, Dulawa SC. Behavioral effects of chronic fluoxetine in BALB/cJ mice do not require adult hippocampal neurogenesis or the serotonin 1A receptor. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008 Jan;33(2):406-17. Epub 2007 Apr 11.
- Huang Z, Zhong XM, Li ZY, Feng CR, Pan AJ, Mao QQ. Curcumin reverses corticosterone-induced depressive-like behavior and decrease in brain BDNF levels in rats. Neurosci Lett. 2011 Apr 15;493(3):145-8. doi: 10.1016/j.neulet.2011.02.030. Epub 2011 Feb 18.
- Hurley LL, Akinfiresoye L, Nwulia E, Kamiya A, Kulkarni AA, Tizabi Y.Antidepressant-like effects of curcumin in WKY rat model of depression is associated with an increase in hippocampal BDNF. Behav Brain Res. 2013 Feb 15;239:27-30. doi: 10.1016/j.bbr.2012.10.049. Epub 2012 Nov 8.
- Kobayashi K, Ikeda Y, Haneda E, Suzuki H. Chronic fluoxetine bidirectionally modulates potentiating effects of serotonin on the hippocampal mossy fiber synaptic transmission. J Neurosci. 2008 Jun 11;28(24):6272-80.
- Kulkarni SK, Akula KK, Deshpande J. Evaluation of antidepressant-like activity of novel water-soluble curcumin formulations and St. John's wort in behavioral paradigms of despair. Pharmacology. 2012;89(1-2):83-90. doi: 10.1159/000335660. Epub 2012 Feb 14.
- Lin TY, Lu CW, Wang CC, Wang YC, Wang SJ. Curcumin inhibits glutamate release in nerve terminals from rat prefrontal cortex: possible relevance to its antidepressant mechanism. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2011 Aug 15;35(7):1785-93. doi: 10.1016/j.pnpbp.2011.06.012. Epub 2011 Jun 30.
- Lopresti AL, Maes M, Maker GL, Hood SD, Drummond PD. Curcumin for the treatment of major depression: A randomised, double-blind, placebo controlled study. J Affect Disord. 2014 Oct;167:368-75. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2014.06.001. Epub 2014 Jun 11. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2014.06.001
- Mei X, Xu D, Xu S, Zheng Y, Xu S. Gastroprotective and antidepressant effects of a new zinc(II)-curcumin complex in rodent models of gastric ulcer and depression induced by stresses. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2011 Jul;99(1):66-74. doi: 10.1016/j.pbb.2011.04.002. Epub 2011 Apr 13.
- Rinwa P, Kumar A, Garg S. Suppression of neuroinflammatory and apoptotic signaling cascade by curcumin alone and in combination with piperine in rat model of olfactory bulbectomy induced depression. PLoS One. 2013 Apr 17;8(4):e61052. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0061052. Print 2013.
- Sahay A, Hen R. Hippocampal neurogenesis and depression. Novartis Found Symp. 2008;289:152-60; discussion 160-4, 193-5.
- Sanmukhani J, Satodia V, Trivedi J, Patel T, Tiwari D, Panchal B, Goel A, Tripathi CB. Efficacy and Safety of Curcumin in Major Depressive Disorder: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Phytother Res. 2013 Jul 6. doi: 10.1002/ptr.5025. [Epub ahead of print]
- Santarelli L, Saxe M, Gross C, Surget A, Battaglia F, Dulawa S, Weisstaub N, Lee J, Duman R, Arancio O, Belzung C, Hen R. Requirement of hippocampal neurogenesis for the behavioral effects of antidepressants. Science. 2003 Aug 8;301(5634):805-9.
- Turner EH, Matthews AM, Linardatos E, Tell RA, Rosenthal R. Selective Publication of Antidepressant Trials and Its Influence on Apparent Efficacy. NEJM. Volume 358:252-260 January 17, 2008 Number 3. Accessed online January 17, 2008 at http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/358/3/252
- Xu Y, Ku B, Cui L, Li X, Barish PA, Foster TC, Ogle WO. Curcumin reverses impaired hippocampal neurogenesis and increases serotonin receptor 1A mRNA and brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression in chronically stressed rats. Brain Res. 2007 Aug 8;1162:9-18. Epub 2007 Jun 21.
- Xu Y, Ku B, Tie L, Yao H, Jiang W, Ma X, Li X. Curcumin reverses the effects of chronic stress on behavior, the HPA axis, BDNF expression and phosphorylation of CREB. Brain Res. 2006 Nov 29;1122(1):56-64. Epub 2006 Oct 3.
- Xu Y, Ku BS, Yao HY, Lin YH, Ma X, Zhang YH, Li XJ. Antidepressant effects of curcumin in the forced swim test and olfactory bulbectomy models of depression in rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2005 Sep;82(1):200-6.