Environmental Stewardship Program
- A Certified B Corporation since 2014, Vital Choice meets the highest standards for verified social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability.
- We source only seafood that is environmentally sustainable, and we process it near the source to reduce our carbon footprint.
- We purchase carbon offsets to counteract our greenhouse gas emissions, and we donate a portion of our net profits to environmental protection programs.
- We use environmentally responsible shipping materials to package customer orders.
- Most of our employees work from home, which reduces our collective commute-based carbon emissions.
- Our employees get two days of paid time off per year for community and environmental service projects.
Our charitable contributions range from 2 to 5+ percent of our annual net profit, and 70 percent of our donation budget goes to the environment, which includes both carbon offset projects and non-profit environmental protection groups. Past and present projects include:
- Provider: 3Degrees
- Project Type: Improved Forest Management, Carbon Removals
- Co-Benefits: Habitat Preservation, Repatriation of Indigenous Lands
- Provider: Native
- Project Type: Biodiversity & Wildlife Protection, Carbon Sequestration
- Provider: Native
- Project Type: Methane Capture and Use
Wild Fish Conservancy: Through science, education, and advocacy, Wild Fish Conservancy promotes technically and socially responsible habitat, fisheries, and hatchery management to better sustain the region’s wild-fish heritage.
Ocean Conservancy: Brings people, science, and policy together to champion innovative solutions and fight for a sustainable ocean.
Natural Resources Defense Council: Founded in 1970 by a group of law students and attorneys at the forefront of the environmental movement, the NRDC works to ensure the rights of all people to clean air, clean water, and healthy communities.
Skagit Fisheries Enhancement Group: Recognized as a local leader in salmon restoration, the SFEG involves local landowners, conservation groups, government agencies, and tribes in habitat restoration and watershed stewardship.
- Cardboard Shipping Boxes: Frozen products are shipped separately from nonperishable products, and both are packaged in corrugated cardboard boxes. Made of materials sourced from SFI®-certified suppliers in North America, our boxes contain 53% postconsumer waste and are widely recyclable by curbside and drop-off recycling programs. While most recyclable materials end up in the landfill and don’t get reused, 93% of corrugated cardboard is recycled and can be re-pulped into new paper products up to seven times. This makes cardboard the most reusable consumer-based material in the world.
- Recycled Denim Insulation: The first food home-delivery brand to collaborate with Cotton’s Blue Jeans Go Green™ denim recycling program, we’re delighted to offer mail-in recycling for the denim padding in your box, along with any worn-out denim (90% cotton or greater) you want to include. Please note, you must cover the cost of shipping, so use the shipping method that works best for you. Please remove the recyclable poly wrapper (4-LDPE) from the padding and reuse your shipping box to package your old denim and or padding. Print this shipping label, attach it to the box, and send it by USPS, UPS, or FedEx. Blue Jeans Go Green™ is a trademark of Cotton Incorporated.
EPS Foam Coolers: Live shellfish orders are packed in recyclable EPS foam coolers and shipped directly from our shellfish partners on Whidbey Island, WA. Although the availability of EPS recycling programs varies by community and can be limited, the EPS industry uses approximately 50 percent of post-consumer material in the manufacture of new EPS packaging, which reduces the need for raw materials and energy consumption and diverts material from landfills. Click here to find an EPS recycling location near you. If a location is not available in your area, we offer free mail-in recycling through our CubeCycle™ program.
Blue Jeans Go Green™ is a trademark of Cotton Incorporated.