Ahi Tuna Poke Kit
tuna & seasoning: four servings in 1 lb bag
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
- Sushi-grade fish
- Cubed ahi (yellowfin) tuna – 1 lb.
- Organic Hawaiian seasoning blend
- Recipe card with prep/serving tips
- No artificial preservatives or additives
- Tuna rated Green by MBA’s Seafood Watch
Poke (poh-keh) is a seriously tasty dish that's easy, healthy, and quintessentially Hawaiian.
You can serve our Tuna Poke either as an appetizer, or as a main dish with rice or noodles and your choice of toppings.
Our Poke Kits feature sparkling pure wild ahi (yellowfin) tuna from Indonesian fishing villages, plus organic seasonings for fabulous, authentically Hawaiian flavor.
Just dress* the chopped tuna with our Hawaiian seasoning, add soy sauce, sesame oil, and any raw veggies you wish, then serve over rice, noodles, or greens.
As people say in the Islands before sharing some fresh poke, “e ‘ai kākou”, or “let’s eat”!
*Our Kit provides a generous amount of Hawaiian seasoning, which contains salt. We suggest you add half the seasoning packet and 1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce (the recipe card calls for 1 tablespoon) and then taste-test the result before adding more of either.
Our ocean-fresh tuna is flash frozen at or below -4°F (-20°C), which ensures that it’s perfectly safe to serve raw as poke, sushi, or ceviche.
About our yellow fin tuna
Our sustainably harvested yellowfin comes from small-scale, artisanal Indonesian fisheries.
We partnered with a local supplier that delivers consistently top-quality tuna, pays fair-trade prices to fishermen, and helps them remove barriers to success.
These small-scale fisheries are vital to remote rural communities, providing critical, nutritionally rich food source and employment.
Why is our yellowfin tuna red rather than brown?
Yellowfin sold in the U.S. is often exposed to synthetic carbon monoxide (CO) gas.
Exposure to CO gas preserves tuna’s natural reddish-pink color, but will also make old fish appear fresher than it is, because tuna treated with CO stays red even after it spoils.
Instead of synthetic CO gas, our tuna is exposed to filtered, flavorless smoke from certified-pure hardwoods. This preserves the tuna’s natural reddish-pink color, but it cannot mask old fish, because smoke-treated tuna will turn brown long before it begins to spoil.
- Moskin J. Tuna's Red Glare? It Could Be Carbon Monoxide. The New York Times. October 6, 2004.
- Modified Atmospheric Processing and Packaging of Fish. Otwell WS et al. editors. University of Florida, Food Science and Human Nutrition Department. Blackwell Publishing, 2006.
- Marrone R et al. Carbon Monoxide Residues in Vacuum-Packed Yellowfin Tuna Loins (Thunnus Albacares). Ital J Food Saf. 2015 Sep 8;4(3):4528. eCollection 2015 Jun 30.
- Neethling NE et al. Influence of carbon monoxide on the colour stability of defrosted yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares) muscle stored under aerobic and anaerobic conditions. J Sci Food Agric. 2015 Jun;95(8):1605-12. doi: 10.1002/jsfa.6991. Epub 2014 Dec 1.
- Silbande A et al. Quality assessment of ice-stored tropical yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares) and influence of vacuum and modified atmosphere packaging. Food Microbiol. 2016 Dec;60:62-72. doi: 10.1016/j.fm.2016.06.016. Epub 2016 Jun 27.
Average Ratings: 4.5Write a Review
"Ahi!" Review: This Ahi was so fresh and tasted great! We made an Ahi Poke salad and added MCT/ACV dressing with avocado and sesame seeds. It was sooo good! Highly recommended!
"Get your poke on" Review: Great tuna and good seasoning pac
"Yumm!" Review: Fresh and tasty, very easy to prepare. Will come back for more.
Read more reviews >
Nutrition & IngredientsIngredients:
Cubed Fish: Yellowfin (ahi) tuna, filtered wood smoke (for color retention).
Seasoning blend: *black & white sesame seeds,*dried seaweed (a blend of dulse, nori & sea lettuce), Hawaiian Alaea sea salt, dried scallions, *crushed red chili.
Nutrition FactsAhi Tuna Poke Kit (as prepared according to basic recipe)Serving Size 1/4 Recipe (125g)Number of servings: 4
Amount Per ServingCalories 170 Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*Total Fat 5g 6%Saturated Fat .5g 3%Trans Fat 0gCholesterol 45mg 15%Sodium 660mg 29%Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%Dietary Fiber 0g 0%Sugars 0g 0%Protein 28g 57%
Vitamin D 2mcg • 10%
Calcium 20mg • 2%
Iron 3mg • 15%
Potassium 636mg • 15%
Total Omega 3: 110mg
* see servings/care tab for full preparation instruction & lower sodium options.
To ensure our fish is safe to serve raw, it is flash-frozen within hours of catch, vacuum packed, and shipped on dry ice.
Keep frozen until ready to thaw* for use.
The frozen tuna will retain its quality for up to one year if frozen at 0°F or lower. We recommend using the tuna within 12 months.
*Thaw the packaged fish in the refrigerator overnight, or immerse the frozen package in cool water for 20-30 minutes until pliable. Once thawed, remove the fish from the package and drain in a colander to remove excess liquid.
Basic Poke Instructions
1 Vital Choice Poke Kit
1 tablespoon soy sauce*, shoyu, or tamari
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Thaw the packaged fish in the refrigerator overnight, or immerse the frozen package in cool water for 20-30 minutes until pliable. Once thawed, remove the fish from the package and drain in a colander to remove excess liquid.
- In a medium mixing bowl, toss together the fish and the sesame oil. To achieve your desired flavor intensity, add the soy sauce and seasoning a little at a time, tasting as you go.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 15 minutes, up to 2 hours.
- To reduce the sodium content, use a low-sodium soy sauce, liquid aminos, or coconut aminos.
- For a richer, spicier dish, try adding Vietnamese fish sauce, sweet mirin, minced fresh garlic, grated fresh ginger, wasabi paste, sriracha, red pepper flakes, or chili paste with a touch of canola or olive oil mayonnaise.
Poke Bowl Recipe
1 batch of basic poke (recipe above)
4 cups cooked sushi rice
- Prepare a batch of basic poke.
- Cook the rice per the instructions on the package.
- Divide the hot rice between four bowls.
- Spoon a mound of the chilled fish mixture in each bowl of steaming rice.
- Add desired toppings*.
*Popular toppings: chopped yellow onion, thinly-sliced green onion, chopped avocado, sliced cherry tomatoes, sliced English cucumber, daikon radish sprouts, wakame seaweed salad, kimchi, pickled ginger, sliced jalapeño, sliced and fried shallots, toasted and chopped macadamia nuts.
Frozen foods are packed with dry ice
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $4.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $9.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
Overnight shipping and other premium services cost extra; for more information, see our Shipping page. (Live shellfish ship overnight at no extra cost.)
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
When will my frozen foods arrive?
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
*Except when a holiday falls on the designated shipping day.
For more information, see our Shipping page.