Ahi Tuna Saku
8 oz. block, sashimi-grade yellowfin | Product #FYT801
Due to demand, this product is temporarily out of stock. Sign up for our waitlist and be the first to know when it’s back!
Out of Stock
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
on orders over $99
- Wild, individually line-caught
- 8 oz blocks on average
- Boneless, skinless
- Center cut, bloodline and sinew removed
- Individually vacuum-packed
- Fair Trade Certified
- Rated “Green / Best Choice” by Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch
- Product of Indonesia
Considered the filet mignon of tuna, our premium ahi saku is a uniformly precision-cut portion of center-cut tuna loin, perfect for making sushi, sashimi, and tataki. Individually line-caught by small-scale fisheries in Indonesia. Because the freezing process renders tuna safe to serve raw, our saku blocks are perfect for making raw-fish delicacies, such as:
- Sashimi: Slices of raw fish
- Poke: Hawaiian raw fish salad
- Tataki: Lightly seared raw tuna
- Sushi: Raw fish rolled with or set atop seasoned rice and other ingredients
You’ll find storage and thawing instructions under our Serving/Care tab, and suggested recipes under our Recipes tab. (Recipes for albacore tuna will work very well with yellowfin tuna.)
About ahi (yellowfin)
Known also as yellowfin (Thunnus albacares), our ahi saku comes from an artisanal Indonesian fishery in the Western Central Pacific Ocean, earned a Green/Best-Choice ranking from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch program. The delicious flesh of these torpedo-shaped, highly migratory fish is highly prized for sashimi and sushi
Yellowfin tuna present a striking appearance, with dark, metallic-blue backs, yellow sides, very long fins, silver bellies, and bright yellow “finlets”. Found throughout the Pacific, Atlantic, and Indian Oceans, yellowfin tuna form schools with other tuna species, like skipjack and bigeye.
A dolphin-safe fishery
Our yellowfin tuna comes from a sustainable Indonesian hand-line fishery that protects dolphins as it delivers top-quality tuna. Unlike their Indonesia-area counterparts, yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares) in the eastern tropical Pacific often mingle with dolphins.
In the past, many dolphins drowned in tuna nets off Mexico and southern California. Thanks to stricter U.S. regulations, many fewer dolphins (about 1,000 annually) now die in that region.
Why is our yellowfin tuna red rather than brown?
Yellowfin sold in the U.S. is often exposed to synthetic carbon monoxide (CO) gas. Exposure to CO gas preserves tuna’s natural reddish-pink color, but will also make old fish appear fresher than it is, because tuna treated with CO stays red even after it spoils.
Instead of synthetic CO gas, our tuna is exposed to filtered, flavorless smoke from certified-pure hardwoods. This preserves the tuna’s natural reddish-pink color, but it cannot mask old fish, because smoke-treated tuna will turn brown long before it begins to spoil.
Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch. Yellowfin Tuna.
National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). The Tuna-Dolphin Issue. 9/2/2016.
Average Ratings: 5
"Delicious Ahi Tuna" Review: This was my second order of Ahi Tuna from Vital Choices. Both times the dry ice that the product was shipped with had completly melted leaving the frozen fish very vunerable and cosidering the cost was disturbing. Also two of the 8 oz tuna steaks had considerable freezer burn and their individual packages were not vacumed sealed like the rest. I won't be ordering anymore frozen food from Vital Choices. - Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear your disappointment in this shipment. Our Customer Service Team will reach out to you regarding this delivery. Thank you!
"Ahi Tuna" Review: Absolutely wonderful. I am a giant tuna fan and love sushi and sashimi. This tuna is excellent.
"Love this item" Review: Seared on top of a salad. Yum.
Read more reviews >
Nutrition & IngredientsIngredients:
Yellowfin (Ahi) Tuna, filtered wood smoke
2 servings per per containerServing Size4 oz portion (113g)
Total Fat 0.5g 1%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 34mg 15%
Sodium 50mg 2%
Carbohydrate 0g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Total Sugars 0g
Incl. 0g Added Sugars 0%
Protein 27g 54%
Calories per serving110Contains 110mg omega-3 fatty acids per 113g serving. 10mg EPA100mg DHA
- Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C).
- Vacuum-sealed ahi tuna kept at or below 0° F should retain its quality for 12 to 24 months.
- Shellfish and lean white fish (halibut, cod) generally have a longer freezer life than fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sablefish).
- Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
To ensure our fish is safe to serve raw, it is flash-frozen within hours of catch, vacuum packed, and shipped on dry ice.
- Keep frozen until ready to thaw* for use.
- The frozen tuna will retain its quality for up to one year if frozen at 0°F or lower, provided its vacuum seal remains intact. We recommend using the tuna within 12 months.
- *Thaw the packaged fish in the refrigerator overnight, or immerse the frozen package in cool water for 20-30 minutes until pliable. Once thawed, remove the fish from the package and pat dry with a paper towel.
Frozen foods are packed with dry ice
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $6.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $12.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
Overnight shipping and other premium services cost extra; for more information, see our Shipping page. (Live shellfish ship overnight at no extra cost.)
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
When will my frozen foods arrive?
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
*Except when a holiday falls on the designated shipping day.
For more information, see our Shipping page.