Wild Alaskan Cod
5 lbs, random portions |
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
Save 26% to 50% per pound, compared with our regular 6 oz portions.
- Skinless / boneless*
- Humanely harvested
- Sustainably harvested
- Random size; 3-6 oz each
- May include small tail pieces
- About 14 individually vacuum-packed portions per box
- Product of USA (Alaska)
*Note: Despite great care, our Alaskan cod may infrequently contain small, edible bones.
Our Alaskan cod is sustainably hook-and-line caught in icy, pristine Alaskan waters, and strict state oversight ensures that this fishery remains an abundant resource.
This truly exceptional cod is the best we've found, and features a flaky, tender texture — an advantage that stems from two unusual practices:
- Optimally humane methods proven by Washington State University to yield a flaky, tender texture.
- Our cod is frozen only once, to further guard against toughening. (Most wild Pacific cod is frozen twice.)
Our suppliers' unusual longline vessels are also specially designed to release any unwanted species ("bycatch") back into the sea with minimum harm.
Why is our cod so much better than most?
The innovative vessels that catch our Alaskan cod employee a unique “Moon Pool” technology allows the fishermen to harvest each fish individually from inside the vessel.
Each fish is stunned as it arrives on board, which immediately puts its central nervous system to sleep so it feels no stress or pain. This greatly reduces release of cortisol and adrenaline in the muscles, resulting in a better texture and higher levels of nutrients.
Finally, our supplier’s unique vessels are the only long-liners with filet machines and freezers on board, which keep the fish at its fresh-caught peak of quality, texture, taste, and flakiness.
The School of Food Sciences at Washington State University conducted a "blind" study whose results demonstrated that — versus traditional harvesting methods — our supplier's uniquely humane methods yields higher quality, flakier fish with higher levels of nutrients.
About Pacific Cod
Pacific cod is closely related to Atlantic Cod (Gadus morhua), with a similar, somewhat sweeter flavor and equally firm, flakey texture.
Pacific cod (Gadus macrocephalus) is also known as "gray cod" or "true cod", to differentiate it from "Ling cod" (Ophiodon elongatus) and "Black cod" (Anoplopoma fimbria; AKA Sablefish), which are not members of the cod family.
Nutrition & IngredientsIngredients: Alaskan Cod (Gadus macrocephalus)
Nutrition FactsAlaskan CodServing Size 6 oz (170g)
Amount Per ServingCalories 178 Calories from Fat 12
% Daily Value*Total Fat 1.4gSaturated Fat 0Trans Fat 0Cholesterol 80mg 27%Sodium 155mg 7%Total Carbohydrate 0Dietary Fiber 0Sugars 0Protein 39g
Total Omega-3s 478mg
RecipesRoasted Salmon with Sundried Tomato Crust Alaskan Cod with Bean & Corn Salad Alaskan Halibut or Cod with Lime-Cilantro Sauce Baja-Style Fish Tacos with Jalapeno Cream Baked Garlic-Dill Fish Sticks Cherry/Balsamic Cod or Halibut Chipotle Lime Fish Tacos Cod or Halibut with Tomato Ginger Sauce Crispy Alaskan Halibut or Cod with Greek Pesto Fish Tacos with Black Bean & Mango Salad Greek-baked Alaska Halibut in a Pouch Hazelnut Crusted Scallops with Fresh Mango Salsa Herb Crusted Salmon with Pistou Mediterranean Herb-Roasted Cod Pan Roasted Halibut or Cod with Sage Pescado Sudado (Fish with Onions and Tomato) Roasted Cod with Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Spinach, and Red Wine Vinaigrette Roasted Pacific Cod with Olives and Lemon Sautéed Sablefish (Black Cod) with Shallot-Lemon Vinaigrette and Fresh Herb Salad; Zesty Herbed Almonds Shanghai Halibut with Bok Choy Spanish Fish Soup White Fish, Four Ways Wild Cod Paprika Wild Salmon (Grilled or Broiled) with Nectarine Salsa Wild Sockeye Salmon and Warm Vegetable Salad
Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C). Vacuum-sealed fish held under these conditions should retain its quality for at least six to 12 months. Shellfish and lean white fish (halibut, cod) generally have a longer freezer life than fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sablefish).
NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
Thaw under refrigeration below 38° F (3° C). Use within 12 hours for best results. To quick-thaw, place unopened frozen package in cool water for 30 minutes or until fish is flexible.
Cooking and serving tips
- Rinse fish quickly in cold, clean water.
- Cook in a medium-hot lightly oiled pan, under a broiler, or on the grill for 7-8 minutes, until only the very center is still translucent.
- Remove fish from heat and let it “self-cook” another two to three minutes, until just cooked through to center before serving.
- NOTE: It is perfectly safe and healthful to serve our fish raw or partly cooked, because flash-freezing has rendered it 100% sushi-safe.
- Enliven your fish entree with seasonings such as Vital Choice Organic Salmon Marinade Mix or other herb-spice blends.
- Add the seasonings of your choice to a little olive oil and marinate the fish, refrigerated, for 30-60 minutes or overnight. Or, simply mist fish lightly with olive oil or macadamia nut oil and dust with seasonings before cooking.
ShippingFrozen foods are packed with dry ice
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $6.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $12.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
For more information, see our Shipping page.