Wild Alaskan Sablefish
4 oz portions, skin-on/bone-in | Product #FBP401
Due to demand, this product is temporarily out of stock. Sign up for our waitlist and be the first to know when it’s back!
Out of Stock
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
on orders over $99
- Skin-on / bone-in*
- Certified Kosher (EarthK) Approved for Passover
- Fishery MSC Certified for Sustainability
- Monterey Bay Aquarium "Best Choice”
*Note: The delicacy of sablefish flesh precludes complete de-boning. Your purchase may contain some bones or fragments.
One customer called this rare treat "the chocolate of fish” — a creative description that captures its unique appeal!
Thanks to its sustainable harvest methods, sablefish (Anoplopoma fimbria) from the Alaskan fishery is categorized as a "Best Choice” by the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
Super rich, and very forgiving
Wild Alaskan sablefish — also known as butterfish or black cod — is a superbly rich, silky delicacy.
Because it lives in deep, cold waters, sablefish accumulates far more fat — and omega-3 fatty acids – than most other fish, making it incredibly luscious and nutritious.
In fact, sablefish actually features more omega-3s than any wild salmon, except king.
And, thanks to its extraordinarily high fat content, sablefish is also more "forgiving” of chef errors than other fish.
Anyone – even folks unused to cooking fish, or who fear failure – can turn out perfectly baked, sautéed, or grilled sablefish!
What People Say
"Hi Randy... I LOVE the sablefish, had never tried it before, must have more. Thank you for all you are doing… will be ordering soon.” – Kathleen Perry, Washington, D.C.
Average Ratings: 5
"Fabuluos !" Review: This is my favorite fish of all time. Vital Choice is so fresh and cooks up beautifully. It’s almost impossible to over cook sablefish. It’s so soft and flaky and stays very succulent.
"Excellent quality." Review: Excellent quality. Thank you.
"Sable fish" Review: Great!!!!!
Read more reviews >
Nutrition & IngredientsIngredients: Wild Alaskan Sablefish
1 servings per per containerServing Size4 oz portion (113g)
Total Fat 17g 22%
Saturated Fat 4g 20%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 55mg 18%
Sodium 80mg 3%
Carbohydrate 0g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Total Sugars 0g
Incl. 0g Added Sugars 0%
Protein 15g 30%
Calories per serving220Contains 1765mg omega-3 fatty acids per 113g serving. 765mg EPA810mg DHA
RecipesPan-Roasted Alaska Halibut or Sablefish (Black Cod) with Chimichurri on “Green” Rice Alaska Sablefish (Black Cod) with Ginger-Lime Sauce Alaskan Sablefish (Black Cod) with Ginger-Lime Sauce Broiled Alaskan Sablefish Citrus Baked Sablefish Citrus Pepper Broiled Salmon with Fresh Tomato Salsa Herb-Crusted Alaskan Sablefish (Black Cod) Honey-Broiled Sablefish (Black Cod) Miso-Marinated Sablefish (black cod) Olive Oil Poached Alaska Sablefish (Black Cod) with Couscous and Saffron Broth Olive Oil Poached Alaskan Sablefish (Black Cod) with Herbs and Broth Pan-Seared Alaskan Halibut with Fresh Asparagus and Garlic and Chévre-Mashed Potatoes Pasta/Bean Soup with Smoked Sablefish or Salmon Roasted Alaska Sablefish with Leeks, Onions, and Cider Butter Roasted Salmon with Sundried Tomato Crust Sablefish (Black Cod) Puertoriqueño Salmon Caesar and Grilled Salmon with Mango Chutney Sautéed Sablefish (Black Cod) with Shallot-Lemon Vinaigrette and Fresh Herb Salad; Zesty Herbed Almonds Sautéed Sablefish with Spicy Lemon-Walnut Butter Sauce Savory Sablefish Saute Smoked Alaska Sablefish (Black Cod) with Alaska King Crab Risotto Teriyaki-Braised Alaskan Sablefish with Colorful Vegetables White Fish Florentine
Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C). Vacuum-sealed fish held under these conditions should retain its quality for at least six to 12 months. Shellfish and lean white fish (halibut, cod) generally have a longer freezer life than fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sablefish).
NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
Thaw under refrigeration at or below 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius). Before thawing, puncture or remove packaging.
For quick-thawing, place frozen package in cool water for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, just until contents are flexible. Once thawed, immediately cook or refrigerate (if refrigerating, puncture package). Prior to cooking, do not allow fish to reach temperatures above 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius).
Cooking and Serving Tips
Federal regulations require this notice*: “Must be cooked to internal temperature of 165° F prior to serving.”
- Rinse sablefish quickly in cold, clean water.
- Cook in a medium-hot lightly oiled pan, under a broiler, or on the grill for 7-8 minutes – or bake 12-15 minutes at 375° F – until only the very center is still translucent.
- Remove fish from heat and let it “self-cook” another two to three minutes, until just cooked through to center before serving.
- Enliven your fish entree with seasonings such as Vital Choice Organic Salmon Marinade Mix or other herb-spice blends.
- Add the seasonings of your choice to a little olive oil and marinate the fish, refrigerated, for 30-60 minutes or overnight. Or, simply mist fish lightly with olive oil or macadamia nut oil and dust with seasonings before cooking.
*NOTE: As long as it has been kept frozen, or refrigerated as instructed under “Storage”, above, it is safe to serve our fish raw or partly cooked, because flash-freezing has rendered it 100% sushi-safe.
ShippingFrozen foods are packed with dry ice
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $6.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $12.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
For more information, see our Shipping page.