Dungeness Crab Legs
24 oz bag, cooked and scored |
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
- No artificial additives
- Pre-cooked to serve hot or cold
- Legs and claws with body meat
- Harvested off Oregon or Washington State
- Rated Best Choice by Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch
Its fine sweet flavor and texture make Dungeness crab a favorite choice of seafood lovers.
The shell of each leg is scored in two to three places to allow for easy "snap-n-eat" opening.
Just thaw and serve our pre-cooked Dungeness crab, or warm it by steaming it lightly.
The moist, naturally sweet meat makes the perfect centerpiece for salads, pasta dishes, and sandwiches.
And of course, Dungeness appetizers such as crab cocktail or puff pastries will add elegance to any event. (Click on the Serving/Care tab for more tips and ideas.)
What is Dungeness crab?
Widely considered among the tastiest crab species, Dungeness crab was named after the Washington State coastal town that hosted the first commercial harvests.
The Seafood Watch program of the Monterey Bay Aquarium awards Dungeness crab a sustainable seafood rating of "Best Choice".
Dungeness crab (Metacarcinus magister) typically measures 20 cm (8 inches) across. It inhabits eelgrass beds and coastal sea floors from Alaska's Aleutian Islands to south-central California.
Learn this food's omega 3/6 balance, and why it matters.
Average Ratings: 4Write a ReviewDisclaimer: Product reviews are provided for informational purposes only and reflect the views and opinions of customers and not those of Vital Choice. Vital Choice does not verify or endorse any health-based claims made in these reviews. Reviews containing health claims will be removed.
"Great flavor - great service" Review: Ordered 2 bags and just ate the first one. Flavor was very good - just rinsed and lightly steamed then served with butter. Tasted fresh and not salty as some other reviewers had complained. Also had an initial delivery problem which Vital Choice promptly corrected - their service dept. is so outstanding. I dropped down to 4 stars because, as some other reviewers have found, there was only three actual claws with leg pieces. There were many tiny leg tips which had little or no removable crab meat in them. Still the taste was there, so if the second bag tastes this good I will definitely buy these again in my next order.
"Delicious" Review: These were wonderful. I am ordering again.
"Dungeness Crabs" Review: We've been purchasing Dungeous Crabs for over 20 years from Pike's Mkt (Seattle).We decided to try your product and unfortunately as advertised you sent them FROZEN. Most places send them Fresh and kept fresh with ice packs. The texture and taste was disappointing. If you ever decide to send them FRESH...plz advertise it and we will try again. - Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear your disappointment in this product. Our Customer Service Team will follow up with you regarding this order. Thank you, The Vital Choice Team
Read more reviews >
Nutrition & IngredientsIngredients: Wild Dungeness Crab, salt
Nutrition FactsWild Dungeness Crab - 24ozServing Size 3 oz (85g)Number of servings: 8
Amount Per ServingCalories 90 Calories from Fat 9
% Daily Value*Total Fat 1g 2%Saturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 65mg 22%Sodium 320mg 13%Total Carbohydrate 0.8g 0%Dietary Fiber 0g 0%Sugars 0gProtein 19g
Vitamin A 2% • Vitamin C 6%
Calcium 6% • Iron 2%
Total omega-3s 350mg
RecipesDungeness Crab with Two Sauces
Fill a saucepan to 1-inch depth with water: place thawed Dungeness leg/claw/body sections over the water in a veggie steamer or sieve and steam, covered, for 5 to 8 minutes. Serve with either dipping sauce.
1/3 cup bottled roasted red peppers
2 cloves minced garlic
2/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon organic cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
Combine peppers and garlic in a food processor and process until well minced. Pulse in remaining ingredients until well combined.
Basil-Mint Pesto Sauce
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 cups fresh mint leaves
½ cup organic extra virgin olive oil
3 Tablespoons lightly toasted organic walnuts
3 cloves garlic
3 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Combine basil, mint, oil, walnuts, garlic and lemon juice in a food processor; puree until smooth. Add Parmesan and pulse until well combined.
Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C). Held under these conditions the Dungeness Crab Legs should retain their quality for at least six to 12 months. Shellfish and lean white fish (halibut, cod) generally have a longer freezer life than fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sablefish).
NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
Thaw under refrigeration at or below 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius). Before thawing, puncture or remove packaging.
For quick-thawing, place frozen package in cool water for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, just until contents are flexible. Once thawed, immediately cook or refrigerate (if refrigerating, puncture package). Prior to cooking, do not allow fish to reach temperatures above 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius).
The leg/claw/body sections are not vacuum-sealed, but have been individually water-glazed to prevent oxidization and freezer burn. It is best to store them in their outer box to prevent damage to this fragile protective barrier.Serving Tips*
- Our Dungeness Crab comes to you fully cooked, to serve it cold or hot as you prefer. Thaw the leg/claw/body-meat sections in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- Once thawed, this delicate treasure is best enjoyed within 24 hours. Please remember that crab meat is very delicate and that dry-heat cooking (such as baking, broiling and grilling) may yield mixed results.
- We highly recommend the steaming method below, which is quick and simple and perfectly suited to Dungeness Crab.
*Note: Consumption of raw or partially cooked shellfish creates a risk of serious illness, especially to people with medical conditions that compromise immunity. Vulnerable individuals should avoid eating raw or partially cooked shellfish.
Thaw the crab for a few hours in the refrigerator and enjoy it as a chilled or gently warmed appetizer or snack. Cold crab tastes great with cocktail sauce, aioli sauce, or a wasabi-lime (or lemon) flavored light mayonnaise.Steaming (recommended cooking method)
- Thaw crab leg/claw/body sections in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- Place the sections into a colander or veggie steamer and set colander into a pan above an inch or so of simmering water. Cover, and steam gently for 4 to 6 minutes, depending on size.
- If the crab is fully frozen, steam it for 6 to 8 minutes. Serve immediately with lemon wedges, drawn garlic butter, or sauce of your choice.
- Be sure your crab is thoroughly thawed.
- Lay the opened leg/claw/body sections shell side down on pan, brush lightly with a little extra virgin olive oil, and set about 4 inches below the broiler for just a few minutes.
- Leave the oven door open a little. Watch carefully, and remove just as the surface begins to brown.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Place thawed crab loosely in parchment paper, shell side down. Fold closed and lay in shallow pan.
- Bake for about 10 minutes just until warmed through.
- Lemon wedges and drawn garlic butter
- Avocado slices and salsa
- Cocktail sauce
- Pesto sauce (cilantro or basil)
- Aioli (garlic mayonnaise)
ShippingFrozen foods are packed with dry ice
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $6.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $12.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
For more information, see our Shipping page.