Live Pacific Blue Mussels
5 lb bag |
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
- 2¼ to 3 inches long
- About 120–140 mussels per 5 lb bag
These award-winners are rope-grown in wild, sparkling clean waters off Washington State's Whidbey Island
Their fast growth rate – in a cove blessed by nutrient-rich waters – yields a firm texture and sweeter flavor than most any other mussels.
Because they grow so fast, they feature thin shells and plump, bountiful meats, and provide more pure pleasure per pound.
Easy and safe to enjoy
Because they are grown on ropes rather than in a beach, our Whidbey Island Pacific Blue mussels (Mytilus trossulus) are generally free of sand or grit.
Before the mussels are harvested, each batch is tested and certified-safe by the State of Washington.
Average Ratings: 4Write a ReviewDisclaimer: Product reviews are provided for informational purposes only and reflect the views and opinions of customers and not those of Vital Choice. Vital Choice does not verify or endorse any health-based claims made in these reviews. Reviews containing health claims will be removed.
"review" Review: very fresh and sweet
"wonderful mussels!" Review: Live mussels arrived in TX in excellent condition. with dry ice still intact. Plump and delicious according to my mussel loving grandchildren.
"Disapointed :(" Review: I had high expectations for these mussels since everything else Ive ever gotten from VC has been superior quality. These mussels arrived less frozen than usual in a box that was wet through to the outside. In addition the mussels were very small but did not come out of the shell in one piece nor did they come out easily. My guest and I had to use fingers to pick multiple pieces out . The flavor wasn't terrible but there was really nothing there. I have at least half left and kind of dread cooking them again. - Thank you for ordering with Vital Choice. These mussels ship live and are not frozen. We are sorry to hear your disappointment in the overall product. Our Customer Service Team will reach out to you today. Thank you, The Vial Choice Team
Read more reviews >
Nutrition & IngredientsIngredients: Fresh Pacific Mussels
Nutrition FactsFresh Pacific MusselsServing Size 3 oz. (85g)Number of servings: About 4 mussels
Amount Per ServingCalories 146 Calories from Fat 34
% Daily Value*Total Fat 4g 6%Saturated Fat 1g 4%Trans Fat 0g 0Cholesterol 48mg 16%Sodium 314mg 13%Total Carbohydrate 6g 2%Dietary Fiber 0g 0Sugars 0g 0Protein 20g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 19%
Calcium 3% Iron 32%
Total omega-3 fatty acids 740mg
Serving/CareStorage and handling
Properly cared for, live shellfish can be held up to 5 days.
However, as with any fresh food, the sooner you enjoy our mussels, the better.
Note: Consuming raw shellfish presents a risk to persons with compromised immunity.
- The mussels are alive, and you need to keep them alive until they are cooked or served.
- As soon as possible, place on (not under) ice and store in the refrigerator at 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- We recommend that you place the net bag of mussels in a colander or other self-draining container, and place that self-draining container inside a larger, closed container to catch any liquid.
- Cover the mussels with a damp cloth or towel to keep them from drying out. Again, do not cover or bury the oysters in ice.
- If prolonged storage is necessary, replenish the ice, remove any water from melted ice, and re-moisten the towel frequently.
- If you put the mussels in a plastic bag, make sure that the top is open or that there are holes in the bag to allow the shellfish to breath.
Testing for freshness
- Using your nose is the best way to check for freshness, If mussels smell fresh, like the sea, they are likely still in very good condition. Discard any off-smelling mussels.
- Sometimes the shells of mussels will gape open just a bit in order to get more air. If you see this and are wondering if they are still alive, simply squeeze them shut; discard any mussels that spring right back open again.
ShippingFREE Shipping on all live shellfish orders!
All live shellfish are shipped Overnight.
Live shellfish are harvested to order and shipped with ice-cold gel packs Tuesday through Thursday only (except holidays). Orders must be made prior to 5 p.m. PST the previous day for next-day shipping.
- Monday orders arrive Wednesday
- Tuesday orders arrive Thursday
- Wednesday orders arrive Friday
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- No live shellfish orders can be shipped on Fridays.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.