4 oz portions, lightly smoked |
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
- Skin-on / bone-in*
- Lightly brined, and infused with the smoky essence of alder wood
- Partially cooked by the smoking process
- No nitrites or artificial additives and preservatives
- Kosher (OU)
- Sustainably harvested
- Monterey Bay Aquarium "Best Choice”
*Note: The delicacy of sablefish meat precludes complete de-boning. Your purchase may contain some bones or fragments. These portions are not cooked fully by the smoking process. They will cook through in 6-7 minutes using medium-high heat.
Wild Pacific sablefish – also known as butterfish or black cod – is a superbly rich, silky delicacy.
Because it lives in deep, cold waters, sablefish accumulates far more fat – and omega-3 fatty acids – than most fish, making it incredibly luscious and nutritious.
Lightly brined, and infused with the smoky essence of natural alder wood, our golden-hued, "oven-ready” Pacific sablefish is a treat for your senses!
Super rich, and very forgiving
Sablefish provides many more omega-3s than any other white fish. In fact, sablefish features more omega-3s than any wild salmon, except king.
And, thanks to its extraordinarily high fat content, sablefish is also more "forgiving” of chef errors than other fish.
Anyone – even folks unused to cooking fish, or who fear failure – can turn out perfectly baked, sautéed, or grilled sablefish!
What People Say
"Hi Randy... I LOVE the sablefish, had never tried it before, must have more. Thank you for all you are doing… will be ordering soon.”
– Kathleen Perry, Washington, D.C.
Learn this food's omega 3/6 balance, and why it matters.
Average Ratings: 5Write a ReviewDisclaimer: Product reviews are provided for informational purposes only and reflect the views and opinions of customers and not those of Vital Choice. Vital Choice does not verify or endorse any health-based claims made in these reviews. Reviews containing health claims will be removed.
"Pure Love" Review: My mouth/body feels loved once the buttery flaky fish enters my mouth. I love the lightly smoked cod & wish I could afford to eat it daily :-). I love salmon but I love the lightly smoked cod better.
"One of our favorite treats." Review: Super easy and super yummy. We love it!
"Inedible due to excessive salt" Review: I had this before, years ago, and loved it. But I just had a filet from my recent order and found it inedible due to the tremendous amount of salt. VERY disappointing. Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear your disappointment in this product. Our Customer Service Team will follow up with you regarding this order. Thank you, The Vital Choice Team
Read more reviews >
Nutrition & IngredientsIngredients:
Wild Pacific Sablefish (AKA black cod, butterfish), sea-salt, natural wood smoke.
Nutrition FactsSablefish (Lightly Smoked)Serving Size 4 oz (113g)
Amount Per ServingCalories 220 Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*Total Fat 15g 19%Saturated Fat 4g 20%Trans Fat 0Cholesterol 55mg 18%Sodium 590mg 26%Total Carbohydrate 0Dietary Fiber 0Sugars 0Protein 17g 34%
Total Omega-3s 1775mg
Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C). Vacuum-sealed fish held under these conditions should retain its quality for at least six to 12 months. Shellfish and lean white fish (halibut, cod) generally have a longer freezer life than fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sablefish).
NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
Thaw under refrigeration at or below 38° F (3° Celsius). Before thawing, puncture or remove packaging.
For quick-thawing, place frozen package in cool water for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, just until contents are flexible. Once thawed, immediately cook or refrigerate (if refrigerating, puncture package). Prior to cooking, do not allow fish to reach temperatures above 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius).
Cooking and serving tips
Federal regulations require this notice*: “Must be cooked to internal temperature of 165° F prior to serving.”
- Rinse sablefish quickly in cold, clean water.
- Cook in a medium-hot lightly oiled pan, under a broiler, or on the grill for 5-7 minutes – or bake 8-10 minutes at 375° F – until only the very center is still translucent.
- Remove fish from heat and let it “self-cook” another two to three minutes, until just cooked through to center before serving.
- Enliven your fish entree with seasonings such as Vital Choice Organic Salmon Marinade Mix or other herb-spice blends.
- Add the seasonings of your choice to a little olive oil and marinate the fish, refrigerated, for 30-60 minutes or overnight. Or, simply mist fish lightly with olive oil or macadamia nut oil and dust with seasonings before cooking.
*NOTE: As long as it has been kept frozen, or refrigerated as instructed under “Storage”, above, it is safe to serve our fish raw or partly cooked, because flash-freezing has rendered it 100% sushi-safe.
ShippingFrozen foods are packed with dry ice
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $4.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $9.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
For more information, see our Shipping page.