Sea Kelp Cubes
8 cubes per 4.8 oz pack | Product #FBKC201
Due to demand, this product is temporarily out of stock. Sign up for our waitlist and be the first to know when it’s back!
Out of Stock
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
on orders over $99
NOTE: Frozen products must total at least $65 to ensure quality upon delivery.
- Blanched, pureed kelp
- 8 cubes per 4.8 oz pack
- Easy to use one cube at a time
- No additives, preservatives, or dyes
- Gluten-free, non-GMO
- Cultivated on the coast of Maine
- Keep frozen until use
- Product of USA
Nutrients in kelp: Rich in iodine
Sea kelp ranks as one of the best food sources of iodine.
Each 0.6-ounce serving averages 105% of the U.S. Daily Value (158mcg) for iodine.
Iodine is critical to thyroid and hormone function, although deficiency is uncommon. One exception is women of reproductive age, who –according to the American Academy of Pediatrics – are often marginally iodine deficient.
On average, kelp is a significant source of vitamin K (8% of the U.S. Daily Value) and folate (5% of the U.S. Daily Value), and averages 1-3% (or less) of the U.S. Daily Value for potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
Kelp gets its green color from chlorophyll, and is a rare source of the carotenoid-class pigment called fucoxanthin, which may promote fat-burning within white adipose tissue .
Finally, kelp contains substantial amounts of sodium alginate, which removes radioactive substances such as iodine-131 and strontium-90 from the body.
Eco and family benefits
Vital Choice kelp is grown naturally off the coast of Maine, without fertilizers or pesticides.
Kelp can grow up to half a meter a day, ultimately reaching heights of 90 to 240 feet (30 to 80 meters).
By removing nitrogen, phosphorus and carbon dioxide from the ocean, growing kelp helps to reduce the damaging acidification caused by carbon emissions.
In addition to helping preserve the ocean environment, the open-ocean farm that supplies our kelp aids families that depend on the sea.
Kelp is harvested during the winter, and the farm employs lobster and scallop harvesters during their off-season, providing much-needed income.
- Council on Environmental Health, Rogan WJ, Paulson JA, et al. Iodine deficiency, pollutant chemicals, and the thyroid: new information on an old problem. Pediatrics. 2014 Jun;133(6):1163-6. doi: 10.1542/peds.2014-0900. Review.
- Lee SM, Lewis J, Buss DH, Holcombe GD, Lawrance PR Iodine in British foods and diets. Br J Nutr. 1994 Sep;72(3):435-46.
- Teas J, Pino S, Critchley A, Braverman LE. Variability of iodine content in common commercially available edible seaweeds. Thyroid. 2004 Oct;14(10):836-41.
- USDA. National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 27. Full Report (All Nutrients): 11445, Seaweed, kelp, raw.
- U.S. Office of Dietary Supplements. Iodine Fact Sheet for Health Professionals. Accessed at https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iodine-HealthProfessional/
Average Ratings: 4.5
"practical versus healthy?" Review: Practical definitely. In a smoothie I feared a weird taste would discourage me. I couldn't even detect a different taste. Healthy? We'll see. But for all the expense, it's less expensive than thyroid supplements. Since I trust Vital Choice sources for purity, I'd rather get nutrition through food than pills.
"Salsa" Review: Do not contain enough Kelp in Salsa Hello Jen, We are sorry to hear about your disappointment with the Kelp Salsa. Our Customer Service Team will reach out to you shortly to discuss your order. The Vital Choice Team
"Gift from the sea" Review: Adds a certain something to sauces, foods, and soup. And talk about nutrition!
Read more reviews >
Nutrition & IngredientsIngredients:
Sea Kelp (Saccharina latissima)
Kelp is a marine vegetable & may contain trace amounts of shellfish
8 Servings per containerServing Size1 cube (17g)
Amount per servingCalories5
% Daily Value**
Total Fat 0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 10mg 0%
Carbohydrate 0g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 1%
Total Sugars 0g
Includes 0g Added Sugars 0%
Protein 0g 0%
Vitamin D 0mcg 0% • Calcium 30mg 2%
Iron 0mg 0% • Potassium 20mg 0%
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in
a serving of food contributes to a daily diet 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.Contains 0mg omega-3 fatty acids per serving. 105% RDI Iodine 3% RDI Magnisium
Add one cube to a blueberry smoothie, minestrone soup, or tomato sauce.A basil/kelp pesto makes a great condiment on wild cod, halibut, salmon, sablefish, tuna, scallops, or shrimp
Frozen kelp cubes will last 2 years, and will last 5 days after being thawed.
Add our fresh, mild tasting cubes to smoothies, soups, and sauces.
Simply break one cube (or more) off the block, and add it to your food or beverage.
Try adding one cube to a blueberry smoothie, minestrone soup, miso soup, or tomato sauce.
A basil/kelp pesto makes a great condiment on wild cod, halibut, salmon, sablefish, tuna, scallops, or shrimp.
ShippingFrozen foods are packed with dry ice
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $6.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $12.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
For more information, see our Shipping page.