Alaskan Tanner Crab-Legs
8 oz pkg, cooked & shucked |
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
- Vacuum-sealed in an 8-oz. package
- Recipe ready (cooked, cleaned, & shucked)
- Sustainably Harvested - Seafood Watch Best Choice
- Product of Alaska
Wild Alaskan Tanner crab is a versatile local favorite, prized for its sweet, delicate flavor. Serve in dips, chowders, omelets, crepes, quiches or your favorite crab cake recipe!
To capture its fresh-caught texture and flavor, our tanner crab-legs come to you shucked, cleaned, pre-cooked, and quick-frozen.
Tanner crab nutrition per 3-oz serving
Crab is low in fat and calories, but rich in protein, with 20g per serving.
And it's rich in omega-3 fatty acids, providing a healthy 410mg, which satisfies global health authorities' advice to consume 250–500mg daily.
Crab is also an excellent source of vitamin B12 (147% of the Daily Value) and provides modest amounts of several other B vitamins.
Last but not least, it's a good source of iron and an excellent source of zinc, copper, and selenium (54% of the Daily Value), which is critical to the body's internal antioxidant network.
What People Say
I typically buy Dungeness crab, but saw this Tanner and ordered. I am VERY happy. The leg meat is sweet and full of flavor. I enjoyed the first pouch with drawn butter, homemade horseradish/ketchup sauce and homemade mayo with a bit of lemon. Wonderful! I am ordering more.
– Liz Summers
Learn this food's omega 3/6 balance, and why it matters.
Average Ratings: 5Write a ReviewDisclaimer: Product reviews are provided for informational purposes only and reflect the views and opinions of customers and not those of Vital Choice. Vital Choice does not verify or endorse any health-based claims made in these reviews. Reviews containing health claims will be removed.
"Great Seafood" Review: The Tanner crab legs are a favorite of my friend whom I prepare them for. I like the Halibut too. Always quick shipping.
"Excellent" Review: Excellent product
"Surprised..." Review: I've ordered tanner crab in the past and with all of the wonderful 5-star reviews, I was very surprised to find the tanner crab inedible this time. As the previous reviewer mentioned, the crab was very waterlogged, but I also found it to be salty beyond normal. I actually checked the ingredients to see if any salt had been added, but it wasn't, so I assume this was just an unusual catch or packaging.- Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear your disappointment in the Crab. Our Customer Service Team will reach out to you today regarding this order. Thank you, The Vital Choice Team
Read more reviews >
Nutrition & IngredientsIngredients: Wild Alaskan Tanner Crab ( Chionocetes bairdi)
Nutrition FactsWild Alaskan Tanner Crab-Legs 8 oz (Shucked)Serving Size 3 ozNumber of servings: About 2.5
Amount Per ServingCalories 90 Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*Total Fat 1g 2%Saturated Fat 0g 0Trans Fat 0 0Cholesterol 60mg 20%Sodium 580mg 24%Total Carbohydrate 0g 0Dietary Fiber 0g 0Sugars 0g 0Protein 20g 40%
Vitamin A 3% • Vitamin C 10%
Calcium 3% • Iron 14%
Total omega-3 fatty acids 410mg
Classic Crab Cakes
Makes 6 cakes.
1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning™ (or Vital Choice Organic Salmon marinade mix)
2 tablespoons biscuit baking mix
1 tablespoon dried parsley
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon mustard
1 egg, beaten
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 pound crabmeat
Vegetable oil for frying*
*Preferably ogranic oil, in order of preference: macadamia nut oil, extra virgin olive oil, hi-oleic sunflower oil, canola oil.
- Mix together Old Bay™ seasoning, baking mix, and parsley in a medium size mixing bowl. Stir mayonnaise, mustard, egg, and Worcestershire sauce into dry ingredients. Mix in crab meat gently. Form mixture into 6 to 8 balls.
- Heat 1 inch oil in a large, heavy bottomed skillet to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). Place balls in pan, and flatten slightly with a spatula. Flip the crab cakes over after 3 minutes, or when the crab cake is browned on one side. Continue frying until done. Drain on paper towels.
Chili Lime Crab Cakes with Chipotle Avocado Mayo
Serve with black bean and corn salsa.
Makes 4-6 crab cakes
1 lb crab meat
10 low-salt tortilla chips, crushed finely
1 large egg
3 Tbsp pureed canned chipotle chili peppers
2 tsp lime juice
1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped coarsely
1 Tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
Chipotle avocado mayonnaise
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
1 medium avocado, mashed
1/2 tsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all mayonnaise ingredients in a small mixing bowl and blend well. Chill.
- In a large bowl, combine crackers, egg, ranch dressing, garlic paste, lime juice and cilantro. Gently fold in crab meat. Form into 4 to 6 crab cakes.
- Sauté in olive oil until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with dollops of avocado mayonnaise.
California Crab Grilled Cheese
Recipe created by Patterson Watkins; grand prize winner in the 2010 Ultimate Crab Challenge Recipe Contest. Serve with a green salad or soup.
1 lb. crab meat
2 Tbsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp oil-packed sundried tomatoes, chopped
3 Tbsp mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp fresh dill, chopped 8 slices sourdough bread, thick-sliced
3 Tbsp butter, softened
3/4 cup brie, rind trimmed, sliced
1 1/2 cups watercress, cleaned
12 slices Vital Choice Salmon Bacon or applewood smoked bacon, cooked
1 medium avocado, peeled and sliced
- In a medium bowl, fold together crab meat, lemon juice, tomatoes, mayonnaise, mustard and dill.
- Brush sourdough slices evenly with butter on one side. Flip four of the slices, and mound the unbuttered sides evenly with brie, watercress, bacon, avocado, and crab meat mixture. Top with remaining four bread slices, buttered sides up.
- Grill sandwiches in a large skillet over medium heat for 4-5 minutes per side, or until bread is toasted and cheese has melted. Cut in half and enjoy.
Storage and thawing
Because our Tanner Crab is cooked, all you need to do is thaw and serve it chilled or warmed. (High heat will make it tough and dry.)
Thaw crab for one to two days under refrigeration. Or, to quick-thaw it, immerse the sealed packs in cold water for 30 minutes or until flexible.
Serve it in dips, bisques, pastas, chowders, omelets, crepes, casseroles, quiches and your favorite crab cake recipes!
As an appetizer, serve it cold with cocktail sauce, or broil very briefly and serve warm with salsa, pesto sauce, or melted butter.
ShippingFrozen foods are packed with dry ice
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $6.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $12.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
For more information, see our Shipping page.