Cod cakes are crowd-pleasing favorites that typically appeal to children otherwise adverse to fish.
We’ve suggested substitutes for the breadcrumbs and cornstarch, to greatly reduce the amount of rapidly absorbed starch, and/or avoid gluten.
Alaskan Cod Cakes with Citrus Sauce
Prep time 15 minutes; Cook time 15 minutes
- 1 pound Alaskan cod fillets, thawed
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs, gluten-free chickpea crumbs*, or gluten-free rice crumbs**
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, if desired
- 1/3 cup fine cornmeal or flour
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil or organic macadamia nut oil
*Watusee Chickpea Crumbs and Bob’s Red Mill Stone-Ground Garbanzo Bean (Chickpea) Flour are available at many online stores.
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch, arrowroot starch, or kuzu starch
- 2 teaspoons honey-Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white (or black) pepper
- 4 cups escarole and shredded carrot salad blend
- 1/4 cup toasted macadamia nuts, hazelnuts or almonds, chopped
- Fill a large sauté pan or stockpot with enough water to cover the cod; bring to a simmer*.
- Turn off heat and gently add seafood to water; return heat to a simmer. Once simmering, cover pan tightly and cook cod for 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let seafood rest in liquid for 5 minutes, or until seafood is opaque throughout. Remove cod from water; cool slightly and flake into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together cod flakes, bread crumbs, mayonnaise, egg white, celery salt and cayenne pepper. Form mixture into 4 cakes. Dust cakes with cornmeal or flour.
- Heat butter and oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook cakes until golden brown on both sides; remove from pan and keep warm.
- Blend orange juice, corn starch, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk into butter mixture in pan; cook and stir until sauce thickens.
- Portion 1 cup salad blend on each of 4 plates. Top with a cod cake. Spoon on sauce and sprinkle with nuts.
*Variation: Alaska Cod can be poached, steamed, baked or sautéed until opaque throughout; cool slightly before breaking into small flakes.