And by using grill planks, you'll ensure moist fish while reducing the risk of overcooking.
To accompany this dish, we suggest sautéed sugar snap peas or broccolini, and either the Brown Rice Pilaf recipe below, or corn on the cob.
Asian Glazed Planked Salmon
1 bunch green onions, trimmed and sliced lengthwise
24 oz Alaskan Salmon (one 24 oz fillet side or four 6 oz portions)
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger root* (or 1 teaspoon dried organic ginger)
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons naturally brewed soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic (or organic garlic granules)
* Add 1/4 teaspoon organic cayenne pepper for additional heat, if desired.
- Soak planks in cold, clean water for 2 hours or overnight. (If you have less than two hours, soak them in hot water to speed absorption.)
- Pat-dry the planks' surfaces, and oil lightly on one side. Place green onions on plank and place Salmon on top of onions.
- Blend remaining ingredients in a bowl. Rub 1/2 to 1 teaspoon on each Salmon portion or all onto Salmon side. Let the Salmon rest 5 minutes before cooking.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Place the planked Salmon on the grill using indirect heat (not directly over heat). Reduce heat to medium and cook in covered grill for 10 to 15 minutes. Cook just until Salmon is opaque throughout.
Brown Rice Pilaf
1 cup dark brown rice, rinsed and drained
2 cups water
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon organic turmeric
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 1/2 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive or macadamia nut oil
1/4 cup chopped organic raw cashews
1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped (optional)
- In a saucepan over high heat, combine the rice, water, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the turmeric. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange zest and juice, oil, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Whisk to blend. Pour the orange mixture over the warm rice. Add the nuts and apricots and toss gently to mix and coat. Serve immediately.