Asian Ginger Noodles with Poached Salmon
Adapted from AlaskaSeafood.org.
4 skinless-boneless wild salmon fillets (6 oz each)
6 cups water
2 packages (6 to 8 oz each) natural ramen, soba, or rice noodles
3 cups total of any four of the following, in roughly equal proportions: edamame beans, sliced napa cabbage, bok choy, sliced carrots, chopped spinach, sliced mushrooms, snow pea pods
1/4 cup julienned fresh ginger
1/4 cup chopped scallions
2‒4 teaspoons low-sodium natural soy sauce, to taste (or same volume white miso paste)
- Add water, ginger and scallions to large pan. Bring to boil; turn off heat. Add salmon, return heat to simmer. Cover pan tightly and cook 5 minutes.
- Add noodles and vegetables; drizzle with soy sauce. Cover pan tightly and cook an additional 1‒2 minutes (or to noodle package directions), just until fish is opaque throughout. If noodles require more than two minutes (e.g., 4‒6 minutes for soba), add salmon only for last two minutes.
- Serve in bowls with crushed peanut on the side.
Wild Salmon Burritos
You can also make these burritos with fresh-frozen fillets… just cook them until barely done before adding them to the other ingredients to re-heat through. Adapted from AlaskaSeafood.org.
2 cans (7.5 oz each) traditional Wild Red Alaska Salmon (with skin and bones) OR 2 cans (6.5 oz each) skinless, boneless Wild Red Alaska Salmon
1/2 large red bell pepper, cut in thin strips
1/2 medium yellow onion, cut in thin strips
2 teaspoons fresh chopped garlic
2 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon organic black pepper
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
2‒3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 can (16 oz) no-fat-added refried beans, heated
1‒1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
3 cups shredded lettuce
6 large flour tortillas, warmed
1 cup red salsa
2 diced avocados
- Drain and flake salmon. Sauté bell pepper, onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for 3‒5 minutes. Add salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, cilantro, lime juice and salsa verde; heat through. Gently stir in salmon. Heat through and reserve.
- Layer beans, salmon mixture, cheese, sour cream and lettuce on warm tortilla. Roll and top with salsa and avocado.
Variation: Substitute red salsa or molé sauce for the salsa verde. Add sliced jalapeño peppers, if desired.
Nutrients per serving: 646 calories, 28 g total fat, 9 g saturated fat, 38% calories from fat, 67 mg cholesterol, 36 g protein, 65 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 1730 mg sodium, 544 mg calcium, and 1.4 g omega-3 fatty acids.