this is one of those bites that leaves its mark
A unique cornmeal buttermilk coating is what makes our Wild Pacific Oysters salty, crunchy, tender, and tangy! This savory treat is best served with squeezed lemons and dipped in a zesty remoulade sauce.
- Peanut oil (for frying)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Dash hot sauce, such as Tabasco (optional)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 36 Shucked Pacific Vital Choice Oysters
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, garlic powder, paprika and hot sauce in a casserole dish.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper together in a separate casserole dish.
- Pat shucked oysters dry.
- Add oysters to the buttermilk and let soak.
- Then remove, letting the excess drip off, and dredge through the cornmeal mixture, tapping off the excess.
- Fry in the hot oil in batches, until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with squeezed lemon and a remoulade sauce.