Simultaneously spring-like and spicy, our recipe features the famously zesty flavors of characteristic of the cuisine in China’s Szechwan province.
But that heat is balanced by the fresh, crispy greens and luscious halibut. And you can tone down the heat by reducing the amount of chili flakes, chili oil, and Szechwan seasoning mix.
By the way, this recipe would also be excellent with Alaskan cod.
Halibut Szechwan Style with Savoy Slaw
Prep time 15 minutes; Cook time 15 minutes
- 3 Tablespoons oil (organic extra-virgin olive, macadamia nut, or organic canola)
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon each red chili flakes, sesame oil, and Szechwan seasoning mix*
- Drop of chili oil
- 4 Alaskan halibut fillets (4 to 6 oz. each), thawed
- Peanut oil, as desired
- Sea salt and cracked pepper, to taste
- 3 cups shredded Napa or Savoy cabbage
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise, then sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup sliced cashews or almonds
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Half of a red chili pepper, slivered (OR 1/2 cup red bell pepper slivers)
*Available in better grocery stores, and on many retail websites. If you want to make your own, these are the ingredients of two commercial spice blends (all but the sesame seeds and sugar are dry and powdered). The second ingredients listlooks considerably spicier:
- Rinse halibut under cold water; pat dry with paper towel. Heat a heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brush both sides of halibut with peanut or other oil. Place halibut in heated skillet and cook, uncovered, about 3 to 4 minutes, until browned. Shake pan occasionally to keep fish from sticking.
- Turn halibut over and season with salt and pepper. Cover pan tightly and reduce heat to medium. Cook an additional 6 to 8 minutes for frozen halibut or 3 to 4 minutes for fresh/thawed fish. Cook just until fish is opaque throughout.
- In separate large bowl, mix cabbage, cucumber, carrot, cashews and cilantro. For each serving, portion about 2 cups salad on a plate. Top with a halibut fillet. Drizzle on some dressing and sprinkle with chili pepper slivers.
Nutrients per serving: 366 calories, 22g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 54% calories from fat, 82mg cholesterol, 29g protein, 14.5g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 887mg sodium, 75.5mg calcium and 1800mg omega-3 fatty acids.