And it's remarkably well balanced in terms of flavors, textures, colors, and nutrition.
Wild salmon is a super-healthful protein centerpiece providing omega-3s, vitamin D and the powerfully antioxidant red-orange pigment called astaxanthin.
Meanwhile, the tomatoes, red onion, greens, and grains fill in the picture with vibrant hues, ample fiber, “good” carbs, and antioxidant, anti-aging food factors in abundance.
Mediterranean Salmon Salad
1 lb mixed field greens, washed
4 (6 oz) wild Alaskan salmon fillets seasoned, grilled, and chilled
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, halved and sliced thin
1/2 red onion, sliced thin
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 cup cooked grains, chilled (e.g., Israeli couscous, kamut, wheat berries)
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
3/4 cup low fat balsamic dressing (recipe follows)
Low Fat Balsamic Dressing (makes 1 cup):
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons organic balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, minced
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoon sugar
- Place all dressing ingredients in a jar. Close lid and shake until well blended. Set aside.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Season salmon filets with salt and pepper. Place the filets on a well-oiled grill and reduce the heat to medium. After 1 /12 minutes, turn the filets at a 45 degree angle to produce grill hatchmarks. After 1 1/2 minutes, turn the filets over and allow to cook for an additional 1 1/2 minutes. Check for doneness after 6 minutes. Do not overcook. Remove the filets from the grill and set aside to cool (do not refrigerate).
- Cook grains according to package directions and cool. While the salmon and grains are cooling, prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Once all the ingredients have been prepared, place the greens into a large mixing bowl. Add the cucumber, onion, tomatoes, cooled grains, herbs, cheese, and toss to combine. Add the 3/4 cup of dressing and toss again.
- Divide the salad between four plates, arranging some of the prepared vegetables on top of the greens. Place a chilled fillet on top of the salad, hatch-marked side up.
- Serve with a fresh whole wheat baguette.