This wildly healthful, wonderfully comforting soup features organic bone broth.
It couldn't be easier to make. And it tastes even better the next day, so don't worry if you don't need all six servings for a single family meal.
Mexican-Style Chicken Soup
Prep time 15 minutes; Cook time 30 minutes; Total time 45 minutes
Makes 6 servings
2 cups water
Corn kernels (1/2 cup), fresh or frozen
1 (15 ounce) cans Cannelini or Pinto beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans (15 ounce) diced tomatoes
1 large red onion, diced
1 large bell pepper (red, orange, or yellow), sliced into strips
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika (preferably smoked)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon oregano
¼ cup lime juice
½ tsp ground black pepper
Salt to taste
1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (optional)
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or hot salsa (optional)
- Place a pot over medium heat, add the olive oil, onions, bell pepper, and jalapeños, and cook until just tender.
- Add chicken (or beef) broth, water, and tomatoes; reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken, corn, black beans, cumin, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, and lime juice.
- Add salt to taste and hot sauce or salsa for extra spice.
- Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with avocado, cilantro, cheddar cheese, or sour cream as desired, and serve with tortilla chips.
Check out these customer favorites