We love lentils for their flavors and texture, and because, unlike beans, they don't need to be soaked overnight. They're terrifically tasty and filling, and make perfect companions to Salmon.
This recipe, adapted from Martha Stewart Living, includes beets and an orange mustard sauce. As Martha—or more likely, one of her many minions—says, it makes for “a hearty, delectable Sunday dinner.”
Salmon with Lentils and Beets
3 fresh small beets, (about 10 oz), trimmed and scrubbed
Sea salt and organic black pepper
1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 clove garlic
2 fresh sprigs thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons organic extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
4 (6 oz each) wild Alaskan Salmon fillets
1 large shallot, finely chopped
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 pounds fresh spinach, washed and stemmed
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Organic extra virgin olive oil
- In a saucepan of cold water, bring the beets and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drain and cool. Peel beets, and cut into 1/4 inch pieces; set aside.
- Combine 1 cup water, lentils, stock, garlic, thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drain; remove thyme stems and garlic. Add oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; toss, and keep warm. (If preparing in advance, warm over low heat before assembling dish).
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Combine coriander and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; rub over Salmon flesh. Lightly coat a cast-iron skillet with organic extra virgin olive oil, and place over medium heat. When heated, add Salmon, flesh side down, and cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Turn fillets, add shallots, and place skillet in oven. Cook about 4 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, saute spinach in a lightly oiled pan with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, until just wilted. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- If using a skin-on fillet, remove and discard Salmon skin; keep Salmon warm.
- Place skillet over medium-high heat, and add wine, scraping pan with a wooden spoon. Reduce by half, and add orange juice, mustard, and remaining tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Add beets, and cook until heated through.
- Arrange lentils and spinach on plates; place a Salmon fillet on top. Spoon beets and sauce over, and serve.