T. J. posted this enthusiastic endorsement of the recipe and our Sablefish: “I cooked the fish on the stove top in some of the marinade, and it was simply outstanding!!! One of the most delicious foods I have ever prepared (in many years of cooking)!!! I used wonderful sablefish from Vital Choice for this and will definitely make it again.”
Sautéed Sablefish (Black Cod) with Shallot-Lemon Vinaigrette and Fresh Herb Salad
Adapted from Bon Appétit Menus, August 2005
Makes 4 servings.
6 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive or macadamia nut oil
1/3 cup minced shallots
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Sherry wine vinegar
2 teaspoons (packed) grated lemon peel
Sea salt and organic black pepper to taste
6 cups assorted fresh herb leaves (such as Italian parsley, basil, chervil, and dill) and edible flowers (such as nasturtiums)
6 (4 oz each) Alaskan sablefish fillets
- Mix oil, shallots, lemon juice, vinegar, lemon peel, salt, and pepper in small bowl to make vinaigrette.
- Combine herb leaves and edible flowers in large bowl to make salad.
- Sprinkle sablefish fillets with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook fish until just opaque in center, about 4 minutes per side. Arrange fish on plates. Spoon 1 tablespoon vinaigrette over each. Toss salad with remaining vinaigrette. Serve salad with fish.
Almond joy indeed, but much healthier and tastier than the candy.
2 teaspoons dried organic basil
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon organic cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon organic black pepper
1 egg white
2 cups whole organic almonds
- Preheat oven to 325 F. In container of electric blender combine all ingredients except egg white and almonds. Blend 30 seconds, pulsing on and off; set aside. In large bowl whisk egg white until opaque and frothy.
- Add almonds; toss to coat. Add spice mixture; toss gently to coat evenly.
- Brush a baking sheet with extra virgin olive or macadamia nut oil. Arrange almonds on baking sheet in single layer. Bake in center of oven 15 minutes. Gently toss almonds and arrange again in single layer. Continue to bake 15 minutes longer; toss gently. Turn off oven.
- Leave almonds in oven with door ajar 15 minutes. Remove from oven; cool completely. Store in airtight container up to 2 weeks.