Today's recipe is adapted from one we saw in Men's Fitness magazine.
It features omega-3 and vitamin-D-rich tuna, wild rice (with twice the fiber and protein of brown rice but fewer calories), mustard seed (which provides a significant amount of plant-form of omega-3s), and the potent antioxidant power of cumin seed.
Better yet, lentils are rich in fibers and "resistant starches" that boost fat metabolism, help control blood sugar, and dampen appetite.
Please note: Our albacore tuna loin medallions
are not long strips, like the the slices portrayed in the recipe photo, but are perfectly suitable for this recipe.
Zesty Seed-Crusted Tuna with Wild Rice and Red Lentil Pilaf
3 tbsp mustard seeds (adjust to the number of medallions)
3 tbsp cumin seeds (adjust to the number of medallions)
1 cup wild rice
1 onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup red lentils
1/2 cup wild white rice
- Coat tuna with olive oil, mustard and cumin seeds.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet to medium-high. Coat lightly with olive oil and add tuna to pan. Cook for 3 minutes, then flip and cook another 3 minutes for medium-rare.
- Let rest for 5 minutes and slice against the grain.
- Bring 2 cups of broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the wild rice and cook about 30 to 40 minutes, then drain and reserve.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium saucepan over medium heat and coat with olive oil. Add onion and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, lentils, and rice; cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 1/2 cups broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover tightly, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Check out these customer favorites