Wild Alaskan Sablefish
12 oz portion, skin-on/bone-in |
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
- Skin-on / bone-in*
- Certified Kosher (EarthK) Approved for Passover
- Sustainably harvested
*NOTE: The delicacy of sablefish meat precludes complete de-boning. Your purchase may contain some bones or fragments.
Wild Alaskan sablefish – also known as butterfish or black cod – is a superbly rich, silky delicacy.
Because it lives in deep, cold waters, sablefish accumulates far more fat – and omega-3 fatty acids – than most other fish, making it incredibly luscious.
One customer called this rare treat "the chocolate of fish” .. a creative description that captures its unique appeal!
Super rich, and very forgiving
Sablefish provides many more omega-3s than any other white fish.
In fact, sablefish actually features more omega-3s than any wild salmon, except king.
And, thanks to its extraordinarily high fat content, sablefish is also more "forgiving” of chef errors than other fish.
Anyone – even folks unused to cooking fish, or who fear failure – can turn out perfectly baked, sautéed, or grilled sablefish!
What People Say
"Hi Randy... I LOVE the sablefish, had never tried it before, must have more. Thank you for all you are doing… will be ordering soon.” – Kathleen Perry, Washington, D.C.
Average Ratings: 5Write a ReviewDisclaimer: Product reviews are provided for informational purposes only and reflect the views and opinions of customers and not those of Vital Choice. Vital Choice does not verify or endorse any health-based claims made in these reviews. Reviews containing health claims will be removed.
"Best Fish Ever!" Review: Sablefish is possibly the most delicious fish on the planet! Thanks Vital Choice for making it available!
"Sablefish" Review: My wife and I buy the 12Oz Sablefish and split it. Eat once a week. Unbelievable fish. Very tender, A little pricey but this is our treat for the week.
"Sablefish is Outstanding" Review: Sablefish is easy to prepare and our family definitely loves it. Never any leftovers.
Read more reviews >
Nutrition & IngredientsIngredients: Wild Alaskan Sablefish
Nutrition FactsSablefish Roasts -12 oz avg.Serving Size 4 oz (113g)Number of servings: About 3
Amount Per ServingCalories 220 Calories from Fat 156
% Daily Value*Total Fat 17g 26%Saturated Fat 4g 20%Trans Fat 0gCholesterol 55mg 18%Sodium 81mg 4%Total Carbohydrate 0gDietary Fiber 0gSugars 0gProtein 15g
Total Omega-3s 1770mg
Pasta/Bean Soup with Smoked Sablefish or Salmon
Citrus Pepper Broiled Salmon with Fresh Tomato Salsa
Sautéed Sablefish (Black Cod) with Shallot-Lemon Vinaigrette and Fresh Herb Salad; Zesty Herbed Almonds
Honey-Broiled Sablefish (Black Cod)
Pan-Roasted Alaska Halibut or Sablefish (Black Cod) with Chimichurri on “Green” Rice
Sablefish (Black Cod) Puertoriqueño
Roasted Alaska Sablefish with Leeks, Onions, and Cider Butter
Olive Oil Poached Alaska Sablefish (Black Cod) with Couscous and Saffron Broth
Smoked Alaska Sablefish (Black Cod) with Alaska King Crab Risotto
Alaska Sablefish (Black Cod) with Ginger-Lime Sauce
Sautéed Sablefish with Spicy Lemon-Walnut Butter Sauce
Pan-Seared Alaskan Halibut with Fresh Asparagus and Garlic and Chévre-Mashed Potatoes
Shanghai Halibut with Bok Choy
Alaskan Sablefish (Black Cod) with Ginger-Lime Sauce
Olive Oil Poached Alaskan Sablefish (Black Cod) with Couscous and Saffron Broth
Sablefish with Shallot Vinaigrette and Herb Salad
White Fish, Four Ways
Cherry/Balsamic Cod or Halibut
Pescado Sudado (Fish with Onions and Tomato)
Crispy Alaskan Halibut or Cod with Greek Pesto
Pan Roasted Halibut or Cod with Sage
Steamed Sablefish with Spring Onions and Ginger
Broiled Alaskan Sablefish
Roasted Salmon with Sundried Tomato Crust
Valentine's Day Dinner: Quick Sablefish with Herb Crust
Alaskan Sablefish, Spanish Style
Citrus Baked Sablefish
Spicy Grilled Alaskan Sablefish
Salmon Caesar and Grilled Salmon with Mango Chutney
Savory Sablefish Saute
Sicilian-Style Grilled or Broiled Sablefish
Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C). Vacuum-sealed fish held under these conditions should retain its quality for at least six to 12 months. Shellfish and lean white fish (halibut, cod) generally have a longer freezer life than fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sablefish).
NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
Thaw under refrigeration at or below 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius). Before thawing, puncture or remove packaging.
For quick-thawing, place frozen package in cool water for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, just until contents are flexible. Once thawed, immediately cook or refrigerate (if refrigerating, puncture package). Prior to cooking, do not allow fish to reach temperatures above 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius).
Cooking and Serving Tips
Federal regulations require this notice*: “Must be cooked to internal temperature of 165° F prior to serving.”
- Rinse sablefish quickly in cold, clean water.
- Cook in a medium-hot lightly oiled pan, under a broiler, or on the grill for 7-8 minutes – or bake 12-15 minutes at 375° F – until only the very center is still translucent.
- Remove fish from heat and let it “self-cook” another two to three minutes, until just cooked through to center before serving.
- Enliven your fish entree with seasonings such as Vital Choice Organic Salmon Marinade Mix or other herb-spice blends.
- Add the seasonings of your choice to a little olive oil and marinate the fish, refrigerated, for 30-60 minutes or overnight. Or, simply mist fish lightly with olive oil or macadamia nut oil and dust with seasonings before cooking.
*NOTE: As long as it has been kept frozen, or refrigerated as instructed under “Storage”, above, it is safe to serve our fish raw or partly cooked, because flash-freezing has rendered it 100% sushi-safe.
ShippingFrozen foods are packed with dry ice
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $4.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $9.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
For more information, see our Shipping page.