Wild Pacific Spot Prawns
12 oz tub, shell-on |
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
Note: Frozen products must total $65.00, to prevent thawing during shipping. Please add frozen items until they total $65.00.
- Shell- and tail-on*
- No additives or preservatives
- 15 to 20 large prawns per 12 oz tub
- May include some prawn roe (eggs)
- Product of Canada
*Please Note: Some of your prawns may have edible roe (eggs) attached. They're delicious, and rich in omega-3s.
Our pure, delicious spot prawns in seawater are harvested sustainably in cold, clean waters off British Columbia.
Upon harvest they're hand-packed in tubs with seawater, and flash-frozen to preserve their fresh-caught quality.
Their name stems from the bright white dots that mark their shells; it's equally accurate to call them spot prawns or spot shrimp.
Some of our prawns may include an extra special treat – a clutch of oil rich red roe on their bellies. This can be gently captured with a spoon to use as a garnish, or simply removed and discarded with the shells after cooking.
Spot prawns (Pandalus platyceros) are abundant and the fishery is well-managed and sustainable. There are very low rates of "by-catch" because the prawns are caught with small individual traps instead of large trawls and dredges.
Average Ratings: 4.5Write a ReviewDisclaimer: Product reviews are provided for informational purposes only and reflect the views and opinions of customers and not those of Vital Choice. Vital Choice does not verify or endorse any health-based claims made in these reviews. Reviews containing health claims will be removed.
"Spot Prawns" Review: I wasn’t originally going to write a review about these prawns because I thought that it was just me thinking that they were flavorless. There is another review by another person stating the same thing. NO flavor. The only thing that made them not horrible was marinating them. For the price, you shouldn’t have to marinate them. The other things that I have purchased here have been absolutely wonderful but, I’m sorry to say these prawns were very disappointing. - We are sorry to hear your disappointment in this product. Our Customer Service Team will reach out to you today to follow up. Thank you!
"Yumlicious!" Review: This prawns are meaty, good sized. Take a few minutes to cook and the shell peals easily. They are sweet and not fishy at all. Always excited to receive these.
"Spot Prawns" Review: Wonderful flavor. A big hit with my guests and me.
Read more reviews >
Nutrition & IngredientsIngredients:
Nutrition FactsPacific Spot Prawns - 12 oz tubServing Size 85g (3 oz)
Amount Per ServingCalories 76 Calories from Fat 8
% Daily Value*Total Fat 1g 1%Saturated Fat 0g 0%Trans Fat 0gCholesterol 123mg 41%Sodium 190mg 8%Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%Dietary Fiber 0g 0%Sugars 0gProtein 17g
Total Omega-3s 285mg
RecipesA Trio of Tasty Tuna and Shrimp Recipes Alaskan Salmon and White Bean Salad Baja Fish Tacos Cilantro Lime Prawns with Honey-Lime Dipping Sauce Ginger-Spiced Scallop and/or Prawn Skewers Goan-Style Curried Prawns How to Clean Spot Prawns Jambalaya with Salmon Sausage Lemon Shrimp Bruschetta Recipe + Video Mexicali Shrimp Salad Moroccan Shrimp Salad Penang Curried Pumpkin and Prawn Soup Penne with Prawns and Roasted Vegetables in Garlic Lemon Sauce Roasted Garlic & Prawn Pasta Roasted Garlic & Prawn Pasta Roasted Prawns and Orzo Rosemary Prawns with Penne and Squash Sauce Shrimp and Spinach Risotto Latino Shrimp and Spinach with Bean Sauce Shrimp Po' Boy Sandwich Shrimp, Scallops, or Fish Ceviche Spicy Orange Shrimp Spot Prawns in Greek Pasta Spot Prawns Scampi with Pasta Spot Prawns with Cucumber Salad and Tzatziki Sauce Tuscan Prawns and Beans
Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C). Held under these conditions the Pacific Spot Prawns should retain their quality for at least six to 12 months. Shellfish and lean white fish (halibut, cod) generally have a longer freezer life than fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sablefish).
NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
Thaw under refrigeration at or below 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius). Before thawing, puncture or remove packaging.
For quick-thawing, place frozen package in cool water for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, just until contents are flexible. Once thawed, immediately cook or refrigerate (if refrigerating, puncture package). Prior to cooking, do not allow fish to reach temperatures above 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius).
- Keep prawns frozen until about an hour prior to cooking.
- Soak the frozen sealed container in a sink or basin of cool water for about 30 minutes.
- Pour the contents into a strainer and rinse with fresh, cold water to melt away any remaining ice.
- Prawns can be prepared whole or as peeled and de-veined. (There are no health or culinary reasons to de-vein prawns: it’s simply a matter of aesthetic preference.)
- To quickly peel and de-vein prawns, take a pair of sharp kitchen scissors and cut down the middle of the back shell right to the tail tip. Then break open the shell and pull it off leaving the tail attached. Pull or wash out the vein.
- Prawns can be grilled, baked, sautéed, boiled, steamed, or skewered and grilled
- Prawns take only 1 to 2 minutes to be done. Remove Prawns from heat as soon as they turn pink: overcooking will toughen them.
- Prawns go well in all kinds of pasta dishes – including scampi and pesto – and can be served cold with cocktail sauce (ketchup plus a touch of horseradish) or the dip of your choice. We like dipping them in a blend of melted butter and olive oil, seasoned with our Organic Salmon Marinade mix.
Frozen foods are packed with dry ice
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $6.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $12.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
Overnight shipping and other premium services cost extra; for more information, see our Shipping page. (Live shellfish ship overnight at no extra cost.)
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
When will my frozen foods arrive?
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
*Except when a holiday falls on the designated shipping day.
For more information, see our Shipping page.