Wild Pacific Spot Prawns
16 oz tray, large, shell-on | Product #FSP501
Due to demand, this product is temporarily out of stock. Sign up for our waitlist and be the first to know when it’s back!
Out of Stock
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
on orders over $99
Note: Frozen products must total $65.00, to prevent thawing during shipping. Please add frozen items until they total $65.00.
- Shell- and tail-on*
- 32-36 prawns per lb.
- No additives or preservatives
- Frozen on board upon harvest
- Nitrogen-flushed to exclude oxygen
- Product of USA (Alaska)
*Please Note: Some of your prawns may have edible roe (eggs) attached. They're delicious, and rich in omega-3s.
Our pure, delicious spot prawns are harvested sustainably in cold, clean waters off southeast Alaska.
Upon harvest they're water-glazed, flash-frozen, and packed in nitrogen-flushed trays to lock in their fresh-caught quality.
Their name stems from the bright white dots that mark their shells; it's equally accurate to call them spot prawns or spot shrimp.
Some of our prawns may include an extra special treat — a clutch of omega-3-rich red roe on their bellies. This can be gently captured with a spoon to use as a garnish, or simply removed and discarded with the shells after cooking.
Spot prawns (Pandalus platyceros) are abundant and the fishery is well-managed and sustainable. There are very low rates of "by-catch" because the Prawns are caught with small individual traps instead of large trawls and dredges.
*Standard retail practice is to label shrimp and prawns large when there are 26-40 per lb.
Average Ratings: 4
"Wild Pacific Spot Prawns" Review: Was very disappointed in the spot prawns. 1st of all these were by no means large prawns. I would consider them small to medium. I usually order the 12 oz tubs of spot prawns. These had absolutely no taste to them. These were definitely not worth the money even on sale. And I ordered 3 trays of them. - Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear your disappointment in this product. Our Customer Service Team will follow up with you regarding this order. Thank you, The Vital Choice Team
"Wild Pacific Spot Prawns" Review: These are the best prawns I have ever eaten. I stir fry them in butter and home grown garlic and savor each and every bite.
"Better than any specialty store shrimp while caught shrimp" Review: I’ve been buying from VitalChoice for years. They stand behind their guarantee. I once received a shipment of shrimp with cut in the packaging, customer service advised it was probably a box cutter and replaced all damaged packages. As for the quality of shrimp, it’s fantastic. I lived in Florida for years purchasing seafood from specialty markets or local seafood fish markets, I go to the beach yearly, and always purchase seafood from local fish markets ( right on or near the docks ); oddly their shrimp is nothing like VitalChoice’s Wild Pacific Shrimp. It doesn’t compare. There’s a distinct difference in taste and quality. Even the shrimp shell is different. The VitalChoice Wild Pacific Shrimp shell is much thicker and more spiny than gulf shrimp. When I’ve purchased Wild Pacific shrimp in specialty stores it still doesn’t compare. Try it side by side, and you will see.
Read more reviews >
Nutrition & IngredientsIngredients: Wild spot prawns.
Nutrition FactsPacific Spot Prawns Large - 16 ozServing Size 85g (3 oz)
Amount Per ServingCalories 76 Calories from Fat 8
% Daily Value*Total Fat 1g 1%Saturated Fat 0g 0Trans Fat 0g 0Cholesterol 123mg 41%Sodium 190mg 8%Total Carbohydrate 0g 0Dietary Fiber 0g 0Sugars 0g 0Protein 17g
Total Omega-3s 285mg
Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C).
Held under these conditions, Pacific Spot Prawns should retain their quality for at least six to 12 months.
NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
Thaw under refrigeration at or below 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius).
Before thawing, puncture or remove packaging.For quick-thawing, place frozen package in cool water for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, just until prawns are flexible.
Once thawed, immediately cook or refrigerate (if refrigerating, puncture package). Prior to cooking, do not allow prawns to reach temperatures above 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius).
- Keep prawns frozen until about an hour prior to cooking.
- Soak the frozen sealed container in a sink or basin of cool water for about 30 minutes.
- Pour the contents into a strainer and rinse with fresh, cold water to melt away any remaining ice.
- Prawns can be prepared whole or as peeled and de-veined. (There are no health or culinary reasons to de-vein prawns: it’s simply a matter of aesthetic preference.)
- To quickly peel and de-vein prawns, take a pair of sharp kitchen scissors and cut down the middle of the back shell right to the tail tip. Then break open the shell and pull it off leaving the tail attached. Pull or wash out the vein.
- Prawns can be grilled, baked, sautéed, boiled, steamed, or skewered and grilled
- Prawns take only 1 to 2 minutes to be done. Remove Prawns from heat as soon as they turn pink: overcooking will toughen them.
- Prawns go well in all kinds of pasta dishes — including scampi and pesto — and can be served cold with cocktail sauce (ketchup plus a touch of horseradish) or the dip of your choice. We like dipping them in a blend of melted butter and olive oil, seasoned with our Organic Salmon Marinade mix.
*Note: Consumption of raw or partially cooked shellfish creates a risk of serious illness, especially to people with medical conditions that compromise immunity. Vulnerable individuals should avoid eating raw or partially cooked shellfish.
Frozen foods are packed with dry ice
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $6.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $12.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
Overnight shipping and other premium services cost extra; for more information, see our Shipping page. (Live shellfish ship overnight at no extra cost.)
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
When will my frozen foods arrive?
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
*Except when a holiday falls on the designated shipping day.
For more information, see our Shipping page.