Blackened Mahi Mahi, Alaskan Cod or Halibut with Fennel and Orange Salad
By Chef John Besh
Prep Time 15 minutes; Cook Time 10 minutes.
1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
1 Tablespoon minced shallot
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 medium fennel bulb, sliced thinly crosswise
4 oranges, peeled and supremed
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Pinch of sugar
Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
6 (6 oz. each) wild Mahi Mahi, Cod or Halibut
Blackened seasoning or Creole spice blend, to taste
1/4 cup fresh chopped chives
Small sprigs from 1 fresh dill branch
- Place all vinaigrette ingredients into a bowl, whisk together until well mixed; set aside.
- For the salad, place the fennel, oranges, vinaigrette, cayenne pepper and sugar into a medium bowl. Toss gently, then season with salt and pepper.
- Season the fish with blackened seasoning to taste.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish and cook 3 to 5 minutes on each side until bronze in color and opaque throughout.
- On each of 6 plates, place a piece of fish. Top fish with one-sixth of the salad mixture. Garnish with chives and dill.
Check out these customer favorites