Ideal for cooler late-summer nights, while our grill recipe for Weathervane scallops exploits the shrinking window of reliably warm weather.
*Each 1 lb package of Vital Choice scallops contains approximately 25‒30 pieces.
**Cippolini (chip-ah-lee-nee) are round, flat Italian onions about one to two inches in diameter, available in the fall (also known as Borettana onions). You can substitute boiling onions or pearl onions.
- Prior to grilling or broiling, soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- In food processor or blender, pulse green onions, jalapeño, thyme, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, wine and ginger until mixture is almost smooth. Pour half of the mixture into a large re-sealable plastic bag. Add scallops; seal bag and turn several times to coat. Marinate, refrigerated, 15‒30 minutes. (Do not marinate longer, lest the acidic ingredients “cook” and toughen the scallops.) Cover and reserve remaining marinade.
- Preheat grill or broiler/oven to medium-high heat. Remove seafood from marinade; discard bag of marinade.
- Thread seafood and vegetables onto skewers. Place skewers onto a grill or broiling pan brushed with olive oil and cook, 5‒6 inches from heat, for 3‒4 minutes per side. Turn once during cooking. Cook just until scallops turn opaque throughout. (Overcooking will toughen the scallops).
- Drizzle reserved marinade over skewers just before serving.
Nutrients per serving: 375 calories, 29 g total fat, 4 g saturated fat, 69% calories from fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 12 g protein, 15.5 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 116 mg sodium, 51 mg calcium and .5 g omega-3 fatty acids.