Grilled Tuna Skewers with Salsa Verde
By Dutch chef Bart van Olphen, founder of Fish Tales. Courtesy of the Marine Stewardship Council. Photo credit: David Loftus.
Prep time 30 minutes; Cooking Time 10 minutes
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp capers (optional)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar or red balsamic vinegar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 4 stems mint, leaves only
- 4 stems basil, leaves only
- 6 stems parsley, leaves only
- Olive oil (organic extra-virgin)
- 11 oz of fresh tomato, cut into large pieces
- ½ red onion, in rings
- Handful of cress
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 12 oz Albacore Tuna Medallions
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil (organic extra-virgin) for frying
- If using wooden skewers, soak in a bowl of cold water first to prevent them from burning on the grill.
- In a food processor, blend the mustard with the capers, garlic, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, mint, basil, parsley and 7 tablespoons olive oil until smooth. If the sauce is too thick, add more oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine the tomatoes with the red onion and the cress. Season with a splash of olive oil, sherry vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Thread the tuna onto the skewers and coat all over with oil. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Grill or broil the tuna skewers on both sides for 1-2 minutes, ideally leaving them pink except for the outer edges. Do NOT overcook!
- Serve the tuna skewers with the salsa verde and tomato salad.